Saturday, April 4, 2009

Invisible Monsters




Chuck Palahniuk is a genius. This is a quote from one of his books Invisible Monsters .(see avatar picture left.) I always felt that the people in our lives shape us so much. I've met some people that I thought were quite original, but I wondered that if I knew the people in their lives if I would feel the same way. I think I would start to see pieces of that person in all the people that surrounded them.(People they love people they admire people they hate) I will hear a joke and from one person and tell it to a different person and boom thats how it works. You hear a song in someones car and you look it up on itunes and suddenly you have a favorite new band. I don't think we all have sociopathic personalities hiding underneath our exterior, but I do believe there are some unconscious tendencies. Another quote from the book is "The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person." It's like the song love stinks but way more profound haha. I think that when you are not attached to a specific person this is true. I have seen it so much in my life. Someone loving someone so much but that person is married or in love with someone or devotes their life to their child or to God. I think that some people suffer with unrequited love because that's what they like about it. If the love was returned that person would just fall in love with someone else. I don't know maybe I'm a little bitter or jaded about love. I have seen people fall in and out of love with the same people over and over again but is it love? I mean real and true love or is it something else? I'm going to finish this blog with another quote from the same book tell me if you think this is true? "Almost all the time, you tell yourself you're loving somebody when you're just using them. This only looks like love."


2 comments:

  1. I'm not certain I agree with these quotes, but I did enjoy your blog post and analyses of them.

    Hope this finds you well today, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I just love Chuck Palahniuks outlook on love in this book. He just makes me laugh. It's a pretty dark book so the quotes were taken out of context. I would hope you don't agree with these quotes haha....I hope no one really does not even Chuck himself. Thanks again for reading my blog Shawn.

    ReplyDelete